Is Couples Counseling Right for Us?
Quite often couples seek out counseling when their relationship troubles have reached their peak and realize that their relationship can no longer endure the emotional turmoil. It is at this cross roads that couples counseling is beneficial to those interested in improving their relationships. You may find yourself asking a few of these questions:
- Will our relationship last?
- Where do we go from here?
- How can I trust them after this?
- Should we get a divorce?
- Will I ever love them the same again?
Couples Counseling is typically recommended when:
- There are repeated damaging patterns of communication. Damaging communication patterns are those where one or both people leave the conversation feeling even more disconnected than they did when they entered it. This can happen when insults,criticism, lack of accountability, or withdrawing are present in the conversation.
- Life adjustments that seem difficult to resolve.Relationships can go through different stages that challenges the couple to find new ways to resolve conflict together. This can be changes that range from parenting concerns, financial struggles, to caring for an aging parent. Resolving issues while making sure each person’s values are respected can be difficult and through poor communication can be left unresolved.
- Frozen communication and Emotional Withdrawal. When couples have stopped talking all together, this is usually a sign the relationship is extremely distressful and can be a precursor to separation or divorce. This does not mean that it is too late to start the healing and try again. Counseling offers a neutral and safe environment where emotional security can be re-established. It is in this environment of emotional safety that individuals tend to be more willing to open up and re-connect.
Our counselors have experience with a diverse range of couples from various racial, ethnic, spiritual and sexual orientation backgrounds. Couples can be married or dating. In working with couples, We determine what approach will be best for their situation. Techniques utilize include Gottman Method Couples Counseling, Acceptance Commitment Therapy, Solution Focused and Cognitive Behavior Therapy. With these techniques, we aim to equip couples with the skills to address:
- Problem Solving
- Financial disagreements
- Blended Family Issues
- Trust and Commitment Concerns
- Emotional Intimacy
- Fighting Fair
- Premarital Concerns
- Sexual Adjustments
- Effective Communication